Tuesday, May 31, 2005

Coup d' etat

Has anybody here seen Equilibrium? That movie of Chrisitan Bale( Batman Begins) that tells a story of life without emotions! The movie was set in the future! And like all futuristic movies, the movie features hi tech gadgets with flying cars and everything! But unlike your futuristic movie where the central theme often revolves around the "Humans versus Machines" concept, this one depicts a war between humans and emotions!

In the movie, society puts the blame of human suffering to humans' very own emotions! It was assumed that the prescence of wars, rapes, crimes, and other evils stems from the fact that humans feel envy, anger, pride, love even, and all the other possible emotions one can feel! Human emotions were seen as the roots that bloom into life the rotten fruits which are human suffering! Cut away the roots and you see the plants of evil wilt to death! And so in this movie, thats what society did! Their government made human feelings a crime! Anyone that feels anything are arrested and persecuted!

The result was a progressive, evil free, cold society devoid of subjective purpose! Their society was even short of calling it a society! It was more like a machine! Man lives for the betterment of this machine. Not for his own! The family functions as a lubricant tasked to ensure the smooth operations of this machine! Indeed, it was situation I would never want to put myself into. After I watched the movie, I remember telling myself "This ought to remain just a movie"! Except sometimes...


There are times when I envy their society! There are times when I wish all my feelings away! This is especially true when I feel down and weak! I often wonder how someone can make me feel this way! I often ask myself why. And certainly, I point the blame to my emotions. It is my feelings for that person that is behind this weakness! It is my feelings for that person that makes me act different from what ought to be done! They are the armies of the heart that overpower the dictates of my brain! In present day philippine politics, they are the coup plotters!

I wish for it to die! But it dont die easily! I pour every bucket of water to kill its burning flame! But the more water I throw to it, the bigger it becomes! It seems that what I throw is not water but gasoline!

Maybe my mind is unprepared! Maybe my mind is not yet ready to kill this emotion! or Maybe it really does not want to!

No comments: